American history birds Blog/Site Updates children Cooking crafts education freebies experiments free-events free audio freebies free e-books gardening giveaways Great Smoky Mountains hands-on activities health holidays holler livin' local events and activities money saving tips nature nature-photos News notebooking old-time-radio photos recipes recipes and cooking road closures/delays science scripture Site Info snow summer Super Deals Tennessee The Ol' Hermit The United States Townsend travel info Unit Studies weather wildflowers winter
This event is finished for this year but reoccurs around the same time each year in June.
It’s peak flashing season for the synchronous fireflies that live in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and you can see this this natural phenomenon at Elkmont, from June 5th-13th. This year, there are two options for getting there:
Trolley service from Sugarlands Visitor Center
Trolleys from the City of Gatlinburg will pick up visitors at the Sugarlands Visitor Center RV/bus parking area starting at 7pm and will run continuously until the parking area is full -or until 9pm if the parking area doesn’t fill up. The cost for the trolley service is $1 per person.
Shuttle Service from Townsend, TN
Cades Cove Tours is offering a shuttle service from Townsend. The 3 hour tour starts at 8:30 and the cost is also $1 per person, but space is limited and the shuttles are filling up fast.
Please note: The Elkmont entrance road will be closed to all motor vehicles and pedestrians every night from 5:00 p.m. until midnight, June 5-13.
You might also be interested in:
Homeschool/Education Freebies And Citizen Science Opportunity For Learning About Fireflies (Lightning Bugs)
Updated August 28, 2012
Sites About Fireflies
- The Firefly Files –facts, resources and fun
Unit Studies and Lessons About Fireflies
- Fireflies! -This 9 page unit for lower elementary grades includes: a guided reading activity, a page to record firefly facts, an acrostic poem page, and a making words activity page. You must sign up for a free account with Teachers Pay Teachers to download this resource.
- Fireflies: Twinkling Lights Of The Meadows –extensive online unit geared toward beginning readers, lots of hands-on activities. From Evelyn at Hands-On Learning.
- Chemiluminescence -Students in grades 2-3 can explore fireflies in this 5 page lesson plan with activities for all subjects. This lesson plan requires the book Fireflies! by Julie Brinkloe and the science activity requires the book “Teaching Physical Science through Children’s Literature“.
- Firefly or Lightning Bug Printout –science printable
- Fireflies Theme Unit eWorksheets –coloring pages and puzzle pages to make an eworkbook-from SchoolExpress.
Citizen Science: Firefly Watch
- Museum Of Science Firefly Watch –going on now. Sign up and share your observations of fireflies in your backyard to help scientists learn about the geographic distribution of fireflies and their activity during the summer season. Wonderful educational activity for the whole family.
Related posts:Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.