American history birds Blog/Site Updates children Cooking crafts education freebies experiments free-events free audio freebies free e-books gardening giveaways Great Smoky Mountains hands-on activities health holidays holler livin' local events and activities money saving tips nature nature-photos News notebooking old-time-radio photos recipes recipes and cooking road closures/delays science scripture Site Info snow summer Super Deals Tennessee The Ol' Hermit The United States Townsend travel info Unit Studies weather wildflowers winter
Updated August 29, 2012
Help your children learn about the Fourth of July with these free unit studies:
- Simple Schooling Fourth of July Freebies -Two printable unit studies. A 25 page unit for younger children consisting of the events leading up to the Revolutionary War, patriotic songs, the Declaration of Independence, and an explanation of the Great Seal plus a 17 page unit packed full of details that the older kids need to think critically about the subject. Available until Sunday July 4th, 2010. This offer has expired.
- Independence Day: Holiday Study Series -A brief, but informative study about Independence Day. Included in this unit: information and fact page about Independence Day, illustration/coloring page, questions worksheet, facts copywork, basic blank copywork page with photo/illustration, suggested vocabulary words including definitions, blank vocabulary cards, vocabulary word search, and suggested websites. Grades 1-5. Please note: This offer is no longer free, but can be purchased for $1.00.
- 4th of July Montessori Unit Study -Links for a complete unit study on the 4th of July. These PreK and K-10 links will lead you to articles, hands-on activities and other exercises that are compatible with the Montessori classified reading cards, grammar, creative writing, art, social studies and other extensive lesson plans.
More Free Resources For Learning About The Fourth Of July
- Fireworks Minibook: We Love the USA! Add-On -Free project pack to make a dazzling paper firework, complete with a fun descriptive poem. Grades PreK-4.
- Connect The Thoughts Your Weekly Journal: June 28-July 4 -A FREE week’s worth of fun for students ages 9-adult. Each day the student learns about interesting things that are happening on that day, or that have happened on that day in history. This offer has expired.
- Independence Day Web Hunt -A lesson plan to show students how and why we celebrate Independence Day -the history of Independence Day and how different people celebrate Independence Day in the United States. Grades 2-4
- Fourth of July Activity Fun eWorksheets Set 1 and Set 2 -24 pages of coloring and puzzle fun from SchoolExpress.
- 4th of July Activities and Games for Kids -Independence Day themed coloring pages, puzzle pages, worksheets, online jigsaw puzzles, crafts, recipes, poems and more.
- 4th of July Worksheets -4 patriotic themed worksheets for PreK-2 grade include writing practice, patterns activity, magic squares and a scissors skills activity.
- The 4th of July Printables -PreK printables pack includes 26 worksheets and activity pages
- The American Revolution and It’s Era -Library of Congress collection of 1750-1789 maps and charts of North America, Fort William Henry, the Virginia Colony and the eastern coast of North America
- Women of the Revolutionary War -brief information about women in the War of Independence, the roles they played, vocabulary lists and activities, for grades 5-8.
Happy Independence Day,
Related Posts:educational freebies tag archive and my Free Homeschooling page.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Free Father’s Day Unit Studies
SchoolExpress newsletter to get a free theme unit every week.-19 page printable unit with activity and worksheets. Free through June 19, 2010. Additional activity pages are available. Sign up for the
Fathers Unit Study~ Biblical Style! -Make a Father’s Day gift and learn about the great Patriarch Abraham with this 2 page mini unit from Wholesome Learning.
Free Father’s Day Lapbook And Notebooking Pages
Free Holidays and Special Days Notebooking Pages -Look under “Summer Holiday Pages” for some free Father’s Day pages, from NotebookingPages.com.
Father’s Day Lapbook and Notebooking Pages -From Albright News, more free Father’s Day notebooking pages plus a free Father’s Day lapbook.
You may also be interested in these Father’s Day posts:
For even more free educational resources, please check my educational freebies tag archive and my Free Homeschooling page.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Homeschool/Education Freebies: Chemistry Experiments Ebook, Summer Gardening Unit Study, America’s First Ladies Lapbook and Notebook Unit
A classic chemistry experiments ebook is today’s free resource at Homeschool Freebie of the Day:
The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments (PDF ebook) – Here’s a great Chemistry experiments book from the 1960s that was actually BANNED and removed from libraries across the country for being too “dangerous” for young experimenters. Even though most of the activities and experiments in this Golden Book are safe, a few will need parental supervision should you decide to persue them.
Just in time for gardening season, American Montessori Consulting has a new unit study out:
Montessori PreK-Grade 8 Gardening Unit Study -This is an online unit study for a complete summer gardening unit study. Contains links to articles, hands-on activities and other exercises for reading, language arts, life skills, social studies, science, art, math and more.
In The Hands of a Child offers a free semi-annual project pack and right now you can get one about America’s first ladies:
First Ladies of the United States Project Pack -Contains a complete lapbook unit and notebook unit about the first ladies of the United States of America. For grades 3-6.
For even more free educational resources, please check my educational freebies tag archive and my Free Homeschooling Page.
Updated August 25, 2012
Famous Impressionist Artists: Lapbooking and Notebooking Pages brought to you by
Famous Impressionist Artists (PDF files) –A great collection of resources for you to help your kids learn more about Impressionist artists, including:
- Famous Impressionist Minibooks/Lapbook, featuring 13 artists, minibook templates, thumbnails of masterpieces for each artist and a well planned lapbook planner
- Famous Impressionist Biography Pages,with 3 styles to choose from: Blank/ Primary Lined/ Black lined biography pages for each artist.
- and a Famous Impressionist Wall Chart, with a mini gallery and a short biography for each artist.
Please note: This offer is no longer available at Homeschool Freebie of the Day. Visit Practical Pages for the free Famous Impressionist Artists resources.
These art resources were created by Nadene at Practical Pages. She has even more homeschooling freebies including; copywork pages, notebooking pages and lapbooks. You can find them here:
Free Mini Unit Study
- French Impressionists Mini Unit Study –Includes a downloadable lesson plan on Impressionism for grades 1-8, from Learning Through History.
Free Art Lessons:
- Van Gogh with the Flow – Learn about the Impressionistic style of Vincent van Gogh and create a hatching study of Van Gogh’s Starry Night, for all grade levels, from HotChalk Lesson Plans.
You will need a copy of Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” for this lesson:
Printable Pdf of Vincent van Gogh’s Starry Night (right click and “save as”)
- Monet’s Garden by the Sea -students will learn about the use of strong vertical, diagonal and horizontal lines in art by studying Claude Monet’s “Garden at Sainte-Adresse” and create their own version of Monet’s painting. For grades 2-8, from KinderArt.
This lesson requires an image of Monet’s “Garden at Sainte-Adresse”. Here is a copy for you to display or print:
Impressionist Art Lesson Plan
- The Impressionists’ Use of Light -lesson plan to teach students how the Impressionists used light in their art, for grades 4-8, from Kerpoof.
For even more free educational resources, check out my educational freebies tag archive and my Free Homeschooling Page.
Listen To Classics By Herman Melville
Moby Dick –old time radio show of the most well-known work of Melville’s. Originally aired on NBC University Theater in the 1940’s.
More About Herman Melville:
- Novels of Herman Melville –read free online
- The Life and Works of Herman Melville –all about Herman Melville
Farm Notebooking Pages
Heart of the Matter Homeschool Conference Bundle
- All About Horses Unit Study
- Bees Lapbook
- File Folder Greetings: Encouragement
- Novel Ideas – Christopher Paolini’s Eldest
- Tricks of the Trade: 10 Teaching Tips Every Parent Should Know
Updated August 31, 2012
- You Are There: Philadelphia, July 4th, 1776 and The Great Gildersleeve’s Old Fashioned 4th of July–two classic radio show episodes, MP3 format, available through Monday, July 8 from Homeschool Radio Shows. *This offer has expired.
*If you missed these freebies, “You Are There: Philadelphia, July 4th, 1776″ can be found in the Internet Archive’s You Are There Old Time Radio collection -episode #23.
More Independence Day themed episodes from You Are There include:
♦ episode #37 Declaration of Independence
♦ episode #38 Lexington, Concord and Merriam’s Corner
♦ episode #42 The Ratification of the US Constitution
♦ episode #59 Mutiny in the Colonial Army
♦ episode #86 Stamp Act Rebellion
*The Great Gildersleeve’s Old Fashioned 4th of July can be found in the Internet Archive’s Great Gildersleeves Season 5 collection -episode #214 (Flashback: Jolly Boys Fourth of July).
Another Independence Day episode, “The Fourth of July Speech”, can be found in the Internet Archive’s Great Gildersleeves Season 11 collection -episode #451.
All of these episodes from the Internet Archive are available at no cost and may be listened to online or downloaded as an MP3 file .
- SqoolTube Videos: American Revolution –Schoolhouse Rock videos about the Revolutionary War and America’s Independence.
- 4th of July Montessori Unit Study –complete online unit study with links to articles, hands-on activities and other exercises.
- Memorial Day and 4th of July Holiday Craft Activity and History Lesson -”Waving Wands” craft activity and background information for a holiday lesson plan.
- Fourth of July Ideas for Homeschoolers –The American Flag and The American Revolution mini-unit studies, coloring pages, worksheets, notebooking pages, activity links and library list.
- Fourth Of July Lapbook –mini-books, printables and links to more resources.
- Fourth Of July Lapbook –free PDF ebook includes over 2 dozen printables about the Fourth Of July.
- Colonial Currency –history and examples of American colonial currency, part of the University of Notre Dame’s Department of Special Collections
- The Betsy Ross Homepage –learn all about Betsy Ross and the American Flag. The story of Betsy’s life, virtual tour of Betsy’s house, gallery of the American Flag through history, facts, trivia, timeline, quotes and directions on how to cut a 5 pointed star in one snip.
- Declaring Independence: Drafting the Documents –includes timeline of events and scanned images of the original documents, a Library Of Congress exhibition.
- The Price They Paid –learn what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence, part of the American Heritage Library
- Fourth Of July Celebrations Database -history of how the Fourth was designated a holiday, the first Fourth of July celebrations and Fourth of July celebrations that have occurred throughout our nation’s history from 1776 to the present.
- The Charters Of Freedom –learn about and read The Declaration Of Independence, The Constitution Of The United States and The Bill Of Rights.
- Independence Day –learn the history of the Fourth of July. Includes July Fourth video gallery and maps of early America.
- Independence Day Lesson Plans from the National Parks Service: Teaching With Historic Places –10 lesson plans related to America’s battle for independence, the creation of our nation, and other lessons with related Independence Day themes. These free lessons are based on sites listed in the National Register of Historic Places and include:
♦ The Battle of Bennington: An American Victory
♦ The Battle of Bunker Hill: Now We Are at War
♦ The Battle of Oriskany: “Blood Shed a Stream Running Down”
♦ Glen Echo Park: Center for Education and Recreation
♦ Guilford Courthouse: A Pivotal Battle in the War for Independence
♦ Independence Hall: International Symbol of Freedom
♦ The Liberty Bell: From Obscurity to Icon
♦ The Rockets’ Red Glare: Francis Scott Key and the Bombardment of Fort McHenry
♦ Saratoga: The Tide Turns on the Frontier
♦ The Washington Monument: Tribute in Stone
Happy Independence Day,
Kentucky was formally admitted as the 15th state on June 1, 1792.
The name comes from “Ken-tah-ten”, an Iroquois Indian word that means “land of tomorrow”.
Known as the Bluegrass State, Kentucky is famous for it’s horse racing, thoroughbred horse farms, bluegrass, coal mines, tobacco farms, and bourbon whiskey.
Jim Bowie, Kit Carson, Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, Loretta Lynn and Bill Monroe were all born in Kentucky.
Kentucky’s state flower is goldenrod and it’s state bird is the cardinal.
The capitol of Kentucky is Frankfort.
Learn More About Kentucky
Netstate.com: Kentucky –a ton of information and more links here
Young Kentucky History, 1790-1860 -includes teaching ideas
Kentucky Facts and Trivia –50 interesting tidbits about Kentucky
Kentucky Coal and Energy Education Project –expand your knowledge of coal and the coal industry. Includes a teachers section with lesson plans and educational resources.
United States Mint: Kentucky Quarter –links to kid’s page and teacher lesson plans on right sidebar
Free Units And Printables
About.com Homeschooling: State Unit Study – Kentucky –lots of printables here
Kentucky outline map –scroll down
Here are a couple more resources for helping your children learn about gardening:
Muncha, Muncha, Muncha Lapbook –for preschoolers
My Garden Lapbook –also includes some garden journal/notebooking pages
- Gardening Freebies: Printable Garden Journals, Beginners Preserving Guide And 101 Garden Recipes
- More Free Online Children’s Gardening Resources
- A Gardening Conversation And Some Free Online Resources For Gardening With Children
- Buy a Can of Campbell’s Soup and Get Free Tomato Seeds
- Homeschool/Education Freebies: Flowers and Wildflowers
- Neat Links: Nature and Spring