American history birds Blog/Site Updates children Cooking crafts education freebies experiments free-events free audio freebies free e-books gardening giveaways Great Smoky Mountains hands-on activities health holidays holler livin' local events and activities money saving tips nature nature-photos News notebooking old-time-radio photos recipes recipes and cooking road closures/delays science scripture Site Info snow summer Super Deals Tennessee The Ol' Hermit The United States Townsend travel info Unit Studies weather wildflowers winter
Teacher Created Resources has a couple of free ebooks for their Facebook fans: Patriotic Activities E-book and Summer Activities E-book Sampler. You can become a fan and find these freebies here:
Be sure and sign up for the TCR newsletter for more freebies each month.
(Photo courtesy of en.wikipedia)at
Did ya’ll know that today is National Fried Chicken Day?
How about cookin’ some fried chicken:
I fix my fried chicken by soaking it overnight in buttermilk. Next, I mix salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and sage with flour, put the flour mixture in a bag and shake the chicken in the flour mixture. Then I fry it in a cast iron skillet. Yum!
You can learn all about the history of fried chicken at The Food Timeline.
Happy Fried Chicken Day!
Yes, Townsend will be having their free, annual fireworks show again this year! It will be held at the same place as in years past -in the field just past the Highland Manor Inn on 321.
Music from Tennessee State Line -a country, bluegrass and gospel band- will start at 8:30pm and Tiffany Webb will sing patriotic songs at 9:15pm. The fireworks will start around 9:45pm.
To find a good parking spot, get here at least an hour early -and bring your lawn chairs or you’ll be sitting on the ground!
These pictures were taken last year -about a half a mile away from the show site:
Blessings and Happy Fourth of July!
Updated August 29, 2012
Help your children learn about the Fourth of July with these free unit studies:
- Simple Schooling Fourth of July Freebies -Two printable unit studies. A 25 page unit for younger children consisting of the events leading up to the Revolutionary War, patriotic songs, the Declaration of Independence, and an explanation of the Great Seal plus a 17 page unit packed full of details that the older kids need to think critically about the subject. Available until Sunday July 4th, 2010. This offer has expired.
- Independence Day: Holiday Study Series -A brief, but informative study about Independence Day. Included in this unit: information and fact page about Independence Day, illustration/coloring page, questions worksheet, facts copywork, basic blank copywork page with photo/illustration, suggested vocabulary words including definitions, blank vocabulary cards, vocabulary word search, and suggested websites. Grades 1-5. Please note: This offer is no longer free, but can be purchased for $1.00.
- 4th of July Montessori Unit Study -Links for a complete unit study on the 4th of July. These PreK and K-10 links will lead you to articles, hands-on activities and other exercises that are compatible with the Montessori classified reading cards, grammar, creative writing, art, social studies and other extensive lesson plans.
More Free Resources For Learning About The Fourth Of July
- Fireworks Minibook: We Love the USA! Add-On -Free project pack to make a dazzling paper firework, complete with a fun descriptive poem. Grades PreK-4.
- Connect The Thoughts Your Weekly Journal: June 28-July 4 -A FREE week’s worth of fun for students ages 9-adult. Each day the student learns about interesting things that are happening on that day, or that have happened on that day in history. This offer has expired.
- Independence Day Web Hunt -A lesson plan to show students how and why we celebrate Independence Day -the history of Independence Day and how different people celebrate Independence Day in the United States. Grades 2-4
- Fourth of July Activity Fun eWorksheets Set 1 and Set 2 -24 pages of coloring and puzzle fun from SchoolExpress.
- 4th of July Activities and Games for Kids -Independence Day themed coloring pages, puzzle pages, worksheets, online jigsaw puzzles, crafts, recipes, poems and more.
- 4th of July Worksheets -4 patriotic themed worksheets for PreK-2 grade include writing practice, patterns activity, magic squares and a scissors skills activity.
- The 4th of July Printables -PreK printables pack includes 26 worksheets and activity pages
- The American Revolution and It’s Era -Library of Congress collection of 1750-1789 maps and charts of North America, Fort William Henry, the Virginia Colony and the eastern coast of North America
- Women of the Revolutionary War -brief information about women in the War of Independence, the roles they played, vocabulary lists and activities, for grades 5-8.
Happy Independence Day,
Related Posts:educational freebies tag archive and my Free Homeschooling page.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Free Father’s Day Unit Studies
SchoolExpress newsletter to get a free theme unit every week.-19 page printable unit with activity and worksheets. Free through June 19, 2010. Additional activity pages are available. Sign up for the
Fathers Unit Study~ Biblical Style! -Make a Father’s Day gift and learn about the great Patriarch Abraham with this 2 page mini unit from Wholesome Learning.
Free Father’s Day Lapbook And Notebooking Pages
Free Holidays and Special Days Notebooking Pages -Look under “Summer Holiday Pages” for some free Father’s Day pages, from NotebookingPages.com.
Father’s Day Lapbook and Notebooking Pages -From Albright News, more free Father’s Day notebooking pages plus a free Father’s Day lapbook.
You may also be interested in these Father’s Day posts:
For even more free educational resources, please check my educational freebies tag archive and my Free Homeschooling page.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Here are a few free ebooks with craft and cooking ideas for Fathers Day:
Father’s Day Crafts -FaveCrafts newest ebook with 10 different craft projects for Father’s Day.
Father’s Day Breakfast Safe For Kids To Make -a step-by-step picture ebook of recipes for children to make for Dad.
Father’s Day Fun -activities, gift ideas, children’s crafts and recipes to make this Father’s Day a day to remember.
Related posts about Father’s Day:
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to make Dad happy on Father’s Day. Give Dad a gift from the heart -make him something or do something for him!
Here are 11 frugal gift ideas that will make Father’s Day special for your Dad:
1. There’s an old saying, “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” -so why not cook something special for Dad? Make his favorite dish, a special dessert or even breakfast in bed.
2. Make a personalized BBQ apron. Pick up a plain canvas apron at Hobby Lobby (or another craft store) and decorate with fabric paint -children can add their handprints and a personal message such as “#1 Dad”. This idea can also be used with plain T-shirts or BBQ mitts.
3. Create a themed gift basket. Does Dad like to fish? Fill up a pail or fishing hat with hooks, sinkers, lures, bobbers and fishing line. Is Dad a carpenter? You could fill a nail apron with a new tape measure, carpenter’s pencils, chalk and a small tool or two -perhaps a chisel or hammer. For more gift basket ideas, check out 15 Creative Gift Basket Ideas For Men.
4. Give Dad a framed family photograph in a homemade picture frame.
5. Make him a photo album, scrapbook or collage.
6. Clean Dad’s car or truck.
7. Compose a poem or write Dad a letter telling him how much he means to you.
8. Create a CD of his favorite music or some old radio shows. The Internet Archive’s Old Time Radio section has a ton of old adventure series, mysteries, westerns and more -all of which can be downloaded for free.
9. Does Dad like to read? Homemade, laminated bookmarks would make a nice gift.
10. Clean out the garage or shed.
11. Make Dad a homemade card and fill it with some love coupons full of thoughtful things you can do for him (like some of the to-do ideas above). Don’t have time to make your own love coupons? Check out the Father’s Day Love Coupons on my Free Printables page.
A couple more Father’s Day posts you might be interested in:
Homeschool/Education Freebies: Presidents Day Links, Unit Studies, Ebooks, Lessons, Coloring Pages And More!
Free Resources For Presidents Day
First, from Homeschool Freebie of the Day:
Great Resources for President’s Day! –Want some really, really neat resources to find out more about George Washington & Abraham Lincoln? How about a free PDF teacher’s guide… timelines… dozens of stories and articles… a virtual tour of Mount Vernon and Washington’s personal papers… poetry by and about Lincoln… and LOTS more? Then check out today’s collection of some of the best links you’ll ever find about these two founding fathers of the US of A.
Childhood Stories of Washington & Lincoln (PDF ebook) –A nice collection of short stories about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln when they were boys, digitized by Ann Tatum. Great for read-aloud and discussion!
EasyFunSchool has a collection of mini-unit studies:
United States Presidents Unit Studies –Individual mini-units on 40 of our U.S. presidents. Brief biographies, trivia questions and links to online resources, lessons, crafts and activities.
Free Presidents Day printables and craft ideas from Homeschool Helper:
President’s Day Ideas for Homeschoolers –Links to a George Washington Lapbook, Abe Lincoln Unit Study, The American President Unit Study, worksheets, coloring pages and crafts.
Simple Homeschool has a free unit study on George Washington:
George Washington: Leader of the Revolution –Printable unit study with interactive questions and activities.
Free worksheets and coloring pages are available at TLSBooks.com:
President’s Day Worksheets and Coloring Pages –Presidents coloring book, 2 George Washington coloring pages and Presidents Day stationary.
Lesson plan links can be found at The Lesson Plans Page:
Presidents Day Lessons and Teacher Resources –Links to lesson plans for all grade levels.
HomeschoolPatriot.com has some free printables:
HomeschoolPatriot: Freebies –Includes a free ebook of George Washington’s 110 Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior, a Presidents Day quiz, a George Washington word find and more American History printables.
If that’s not enough, check out some of my previous posts for more Presidents Day freebies:
- Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address
- More Free "Presidents" Historical Audios
- Mount Rushmore Free Resources and Links
- Presidents Day Educational Freebies
- Remembering Abraham Lincoln On His Birthday
- Homeschool/Education Freebies: Raising Successful Children Ebook, Classic Audio, Presidents Day And Valentines Day Resources
- Homeschool/Education Resource: Free And Low-Cost Old Time Radio Shows For Presidents Day
Happy Presidents Day
Prepare a gourmet, three course meal for your sweetheart with another free ebook from Hershey Ang at Food Journal of Hershey:
Impress Your Friends/Ladies With A Three Course Meal: Red –Bruschetta, Pan-Roasted Pork Belly in Strawberry Coulis with Butter Potatoes and Vanilla Ice Cream with Strawberries in Chocolate Sauce!
Ebook is 35 pages with step-by-step instructions and illustrations for each dish.
For even more eCookbooks and recipes, please see my recipes tag archive.