American history birds Blog/Site Updates children Cooking crafts education freebies experiments free-events free audio freebies free e-books gardening giveaways Great Smoky Mountains hands-on activities health holidays holler livin' local events and activities money saving tips nature nature-photos News notebooking old-time-radio photos recipes recipes and cooking road closures/delays science scripture Site Info snow summer Super Deals Tennessee The Ol' Hermit The United States Townsend travel info Unit Studies weather wildflowers winter
Updated August 20, 2012
Want some fresh and healthy summer recipes that are easy-to-fix? Check out this free ebook from Econobusters:
Molly Green Fresh (link fixed)- Discover simple, pleasing, healthy, and fresh seasonal delights and invigorate your summertime menus with Molly’s latest ingenious recipe collection . . .22 pages of fresh and easy recipes, fabulous tips, and more!
More freebies from Econobusters are also available at the above link.
You might also be interested in:
Updated August 10, 2012
Here are 11 free ecookbooks full of fresh and simple recipes, famous chef recipes, summer grilling recipes and many more:
The Kerrygold Community Recip-e-book (link fixed) -20 delicious recipes from Kerrygold and Rachel Allen, the “Irish Cooking Queen”. The e-book link is on the top left of the page and may be viewed online or downloaded as a PDF file.
New For more great Irish food, check out Kerrygold Recipes for printable recipes by Aoife of the Daily Spud blog.
New Are you a member of a book club in the USA? Email Kerrygold for a free book club kit featuring tips for an Irish themed party, entertaining ideas and recipes, plus bookmarks, recipe brochures and placemats for each guest.
Stonesoup Minimalist Home Cooking -97 page cookbook filled with 65 simple recipes that use 5 ingredients or less. All recipes take 10 minutes or less to prepare and include everything from snacks to desserts, plus information on stocking a minimalist kitchen and pantry.
Tasty Fat Loss and Muscle Building Recipes -A collection of 25 healthy, low-fat/high-protein recipes for breakfast, lunch, supper and everything in between -even homemade protein bars. All recipes include nutrition information for calories, carbohydrates, protein and fat.
Cold Brewed Coffee and Tea -Over 100 recipes for beverages, desserts, breads, main dishes and more -all using cold-brewed coffee and tea concentrate.
How to make your own cold-brewed coffee and tea concentrates:
Emerils Celebrates 20 Years (link fixed) -11 of Emeril Lagasse’s favorite recipes from his New Orleans restaurants.
New Want more of Emeril’s recipes? Check out the recipes section on emerils.com for 1000s of printable recipes and cooking tips.
Mountain Bread Cookbook -Over 50 recipes using “Mountain Bread” -a thin, soft-textured, Lebanese flatbread; traditionally used in wraps and as a bread substitute.
Recipe for homemade “Mountain Bread”:
Martha Stewart Summer Grilling Cookbook (link fixed) -51 pages of 32 delicious summer recipes for drinks to desserts -from acclaimed chefs Martha Stewart, Emeril Lagasse, Tim Love, Elizabeth Karmel and many others.
BBQ Favorites 2010 (link fixed) -24 delicious recipes for outdoor grilling and dining are featured in this 42 page ecookbook from ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen.
New Be sure and check out ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen’s videos for cooking and recipe demonstrations, and their recipe index for printable recipes, menu ideas and menu planner -or sign up for the What’s Hot newsletter to have the latest recipes delivered by email.
Texas Pepper Jelly Free eCookbooks -Sign up for Texas Pepper Jelly’s free monthly newsletter and get 3 free ecookbooks: Country Sweet Texas Heat, 101 Recipes in a Flash, and South of the Border Mexican recipes -over 300 recipes in all.
You may also be interested in:
- 10 Free eCookbooks: Soups And Stews, Healthy Eating, Pasta Recipes And More
- Free Recipes Ebook: 50 Gourmet Burgers
- Free Healthy Snacks And Muffins eCookbooks
- Free Recipe Booklets and E-books
Blessings and happy cooking,
Updated August 10, 2012
After eating some of Mr. Food’s Decadent Desserts, you might want to fix something a little more healthy!
40 Healthy Snack Recipes (link fixed)-48 pages of healthy snacks for children to adults. Includes low-fat, low-calorie, low-sodium and diabetic snacks.
Healthy Muffins (link fixed) -25 healthy muffin recipes including whole wheat muffins, corn muffins, blueberry muffins, banana muffins, chocolate muffins and more.
Note: You can get more free e-books featuring healthy recipes at FaveHealthyRecipes.com’s free e-cookbook index.
New Healthy Ice Pops & Frozen Treats -Get this free ebook with more than a dozen refreshing and nutritious recipes when you subscribe to The Nourishing Home.
New Free Healthy Ebooks from Amazon
All of these free ebooks are for the Kindle e-book reader. Don’t have a Kindlereader? Try one of the free reading appsfor your PC or mobile device. I don’t know how long these will be available for free, so grab ‘em while you can!
33 Healthy Snacks Recipes -This e-book contains 84 pages of delicious, healthy recipes.
Yummy Fruit Smoothies Vol. 1-12 cool and refreshing smoothie recipes.
Smart School Time Recipes-125 easy, delicious and healthy recipes for breakfasts, snacks and portable lunches.Blessings and happy cooking,
DeneseThis post may contain affiliate links, please see my Disclosure Policy for details.
Has your child been “diagnosed” with “ADHD”?
(PDF ebook) – In the last 30 years, the field of psychiatry has transformed childhood into a disease through the label of ADHD. Dr. Fred Baughman, a pediatric neurologist and fellow of the American Association of Neurologists explores the reasons for this in this transcribed interview. He is one of the few neurological experts that is willing come forward with the truth about ADHD and the mass drugging of America’s children. Have you ever wondered why other countries don’t have this explosion of mental illness in their kids? Have you ever wondered why people in your parent’s generation didn’t have these problems? The answers are all right here in this interview.
The Honest Food Guide (PDF chart) – An outstanding chart on food choices & how they affect your family. Offers genuine nutritional information, not watered-down information designed to boost the sale of processed milk, beef and grain products.
Note: These links are no longer available at the Homeschool Freebie of the Day website, please see updated links below.
My personal experience with what “they” call “ADHD”:
- Processed foods, especially food colorings and corn syrup, will affect a child -we got rid of the cheetos, hard candy and soda pops and there was no more bouncing off the walls, anger, and self-destructiveness. Every once in a while, my children get a soda or candy as a treat -and it takes two days for them to calm back down.
- Exercise is also important -we noticed long ago that our children are calmer and can concentrate better if they get plenty of exercise such as running, jumping rope, hiking and long walks.
- Drugs aren’t good -what about the side-effects? I’ve seen many children turned into walking zombies after being put on “ADHD” drugs.
Educate yourself, get the book and food chart -they’re free, so you have nothing to lose.Blessings,
Updated on August 7, 2012.
Daily Freebies From Homeschool Freebie of the Day (these have expired, see Note below)
The Erskines have another great week of freebies for us:
Tuesday, August 18th: The Book of 500 Curious Puzzles (pdf ebook) –A classic collection of all sorts of odd and interesting puzzles, riddles, mazes, math problems and oddities to challenge and bemuse young puzzle lovers. Originally published in 1859.
Wednesday, August 19th: Home Management Nuts & Bolts: Budgets and Schedules (mp3 audio) –Learn how to apply basic project management principles in the home to help you be a better steward of your time and money. Audio workshop by Marc Carrier.
Thursday, August 20th: Mary Frances First Aid Book (pdf ebook) –Another classic volume in the Mary Frances series; Mary Frances learns about First Aid from the adventures of her doll family, and along the way discovers some practical ways to render first aid to the sick and injured herself.
Friday, August 21st: How To Write A Novel (pdf ebook) -This delightful lesson series will teach your kids a great deal about the creative writing process, and in the process how to be wiser, more thoughtful readers of books written by others. It’s is a fun filled, playful, and highly creative eight-week class that your kids will long remember. And who knows? They may even end up writing their own book before it’s all said and done!
Each of these resources will be available on its specified day at Homeschool Freebie Of The Day.
Note: If you didn’t get these resources on the day they were posted…
- How to Build a Log Cabin by Amy Puetz is available at her website for 99 cents.
- Google Books has The Book of 500 Curious Puzzles available as a free download -or you may read it online.
- Home Management Nuts & Bolts: Budgets and Schedules audio workshop is included in The Values-Driven Family Home Management Bundle -available at valuesdrivenfamily.com for $4.95.
- The Internet Archive has the Mary Frances First Aid Book in a variety of free, downloadable formats -or you can also read it online.
- Lydia Netzer has an eight week, online course entitled “How to Teach Your Child to Write a Novel” at Examiner.com.
Build More Log Cabins
Edible Pretzel Log Cabin –made with peanut butter, pretzels and crackers.
“Snow Covered” Pretzel Log Cabin –not edible, made with glue
Cinnamon Stick Log Cabin –craft project
Craft Stick Log Cabin –slideshow
Crayons Log Cabin –Build a colorful, mini-cabin out of crayons.
Build A Small Log Cabin (a real one) –Four-part reprint from a 1983 Popular Mechanics article, with illustrations.
More Free Puzzles And Brain Teasers
Archimedes’ Lab -Puzzles & mental activities that enhance critical and creative thinking skills.
Puzzles, Mazes, Brain Teasers & Logic Games –From ExtremeIntellect.com. “a website for everyone interested in the subjects of IQ intelligence, genius, memory or simply increasing knowledge in yourself or students.”
perplexus.info -simple logic questions and word tricks to in-depth math problems like probability and geometry. High degree of difficulty.
Braingle –Over 17,000 user-submitted brain teasers, riddles, logic problems, quizzes and mind puzzles.
Free First Aid Lessons
New Life. Live It. –from the British Red Cross for ages 5-11 and 11-16. Site includes lesson plans, activities, videos, quizzes, worksheets, curriculum links plus printable awards and badges. To access materials, you must register for a free account.
Learn to Save a Life: 10 Free Online First Aid Resources –a great little list of free, online first aid courses and resources.
This Week’s Freebies From Homeschool Freebie Of The Day –for more Mary Frances books.
Free Logic Problems (updated August 7, 2012)
Updated August 25, 2012
I was looking for a few yogurt recipes and look what I found.
From yogurt history to how to make your own – and a slew of recipes!
All About Yogurt
- The World’s Healthiest Foods: Yogurt – health and nutritional info
- How Frozen Yogurt is Made (store-bought)
- Creatively Simple – How to Make Homemade Yogurt – Step by step instructions. Newest e-book from Penny Raine, available as a free download through this weekend only. This offer has expired.
- Free eBook: Learn to Make Yogurt -Sign up for Cultures for Health’s free newsletter to receive their free e-book packed with over 75 pages about yogurt -what it is, how to make it, ways to use it and 15 recipes.
- Fias Co Farm: Yogurt – lists different incubation methods
- Coconut Milk Yogurt – from canned coconut milk
- Cooking with Yogurt Cheese – how to make it, plus recipes
Yogurt Breads And Muffins
- Herbed Yogurt Bread – Kosher, for bread machine
- Cherry Yogurt Bread – for bread machine
- Mediterranean Beet and Yogurt Salad – lovely color, also makes a good dip
Main and Side Dishes Made With Yogurt
- Beef and Lamb Spiedini with Yogurt Sauce Recipe – Italian recipe
Frozen Yogurt And Desserts
- Frozen Peach Yogurt – with banana variation, healthy kids recipe.
- Yogurt Tartlets Recipe – Oat-crusted with a creamy, ginger-spiked yogurt filling.
- Yogurt Chocolate Chip Cookies -eggless recipe
More Yogurt Recipes
- Armenian Yogurt Recipes -soups, main dishes, dips…even a beverage!
- Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Yogurt Recipes – appetizers, salads, main dishes desserts and drinks
- Chobani: Greek Yogurt Recipes – desserts, sauces dressings
Yogurt Beauty Recipes
- Yogurt for Beautiful Skin and Hair -face masks, scrubs and hair masks
- Science Experiment: Yogurt Cultures – middle grades
- Activity: Observing Bacteria Cultures in Yogurt - highschool
Do ya’ll think I got carried away?
Free Home Remedies E-books
Coughs, Earaches & Sore Throats: Natural Remedies that Work! -simple natural home remedies for three of the most common childhood complaints, free from Homeschool Freebie of the Day, today only. This offer has expired.
Mother’s Remedies: Over One Thousand Tried and Tested Remedies from Mothers of the United States and Canada -downloadable e-book, originally published in 1910. From ManyBooks.net.
Websites About Home Remedies and Folk Medicine
Home Remedies In The News
Some Of Our Old Family Remedies
My grandfather used whiskey on on our gums when we were teething as babies.
I can remember my momma giving us lemon and honey tea for sore throats and we had a black salve for drawing out splinters.
My momma-in-law used catnip tea to calm babies, mullein tea for coughs and kerosene to repel chiggers.
My husband pours kerosene on wounds (ouch!).
Some Home Remedies I Use
- vinegar on burns (not broken skin) and athletes foot
- aloe vera for burns
- garlic/mullein oil for clogged ears, earaches, ear infections
- an eyewash of eyebright or goldenseal tea for styes, pinkeye
- mullein for coughs/bronchitis
- homemade chicken soup with lots of onion, garlic, sage and thyme, for colds
- honey for: sore throats, coughs, infected cuts and scrapes
- witch hazel for skin conditions/to reduce swelling and redness (excellent for your face)
- comfrey (as a poultice or salve) for cuts/bruises/broken bones/skin cancer
- wild violet leaves (poultice) for skin conditions
- sage/thyme/mullein/chamomile/peppermint/lemon balm/ginger/garlic/cayenne tea for colds and the flu (some or all)
- ginger for upset stomach
- licorice root for stomach upset/ulcers
- cayenne/garlic for sinus problems
- jewelweed (wild touch-me-not) for poison ivy (washing immediately in COLD spring water also works)
- moistened tobacco or baking soda paste on insect bites and stings
- salt pork or bacon fat to draw out splinters
- onion poultice for boils
- mountain mint/mosquito plant to repel bugs (rubbed on skin and clothes)
- tea tree oil for shingles, acne
Please note: I am not a doctor and this is not intended to be medical advice.Have a lovely day,
Updated August 23, 2012
Free E-books About Herbs
- Herbs for Health and Happiness -A 42 page e-book covering growing, harvesting, using medicinal herbs, herbal lore and more. From Homeschool Freebie of the Day, available today only. This offer has expired.
- Culinary Herbs; Their Cultivation, Harvesting, Curing and Uses -all about the herbs we cook with. Free from the Internet Archive, available in a variety of e-book formats, originally published in 1912.
- Herbal Tea Mini Recipe E-Book -sign up for access (scroll down for more recipes), from CrazyForTea.com.
- 7 Everyday Herbs Made Simple Mini E-book -sign up for the free e-zine of herb tips and get this free e-book with ideas for using seven different culinary herbs and their reported health benefits. From MadAboutHerbs.com. This offer is no longer available.
- LearningHerbs.com Herbal E-book -This free e-book is packed with 56 pages of information about 23 herbs -includes the properties of each herb, fun facts, recipes and activities. LearningHerbs.com also offers “Herb Mentor News” herbal lessons e-zine, a 7-day “Supermarket Herbalism” video e-course and “Home Remedy Secrets -Building Your Herbal Medicine Chest” video e-book -all free. Sign up today!
- Herbal Rescue: Your Guide to Creating a Homemade Herbal First Aid Kit -Get this free 45 page e-book, when you subscribe to FrugallySustainable.com, and learn how to make your own herbal first aid kit to treat minor injuries and illnesses.
- American Medicinal Leaves and Herbs -This 56 page illustrated USDA bulletin, published in 1911, covers the identification of 36 herbs found in the wild and how to prepare and preserve them. This free e-book is available from Google Books to read online, or download in Pdf or ePub formats.
Websites About Herbs
- The Herb Society of America -definitions of herbs, herbal profiles and guides, Family Herb Corner with projects and activities.
- The Herbal Collective -offers free newsletter with health tips, gardening ideas, cooking tips and more.
- The Herb Society UK -increasing the understanding, use and appreciation of herbs and their benefits to health. Site contains articles about and recipes for using medicinal and culinary herbs; herb gardening articles; historical herb information; cosmetic and craft uses of herbs; plus an education area with resources for teaching children about herbs.
- Henriette’s Herbal -One of the oldest and biggest sites on the internet for information about herbs -contains articles; FAQs about culinary and medicinal herbs; plant photos and names; and classic herbal texts.
- A Modern Herbal -Electronic version of the classic English text “A Modern Herbal”, by Maud Grieve. Site contains a plant and herb index; index of poisonous plants; recipes; reader-submitted articles, and more.
- Herbal Medicine for Animals -Contains extensive information about herbal veterinary medicine from herbal vet, Chris Day -the UK’s oldest homeopathic and holistic veterinarian.
United States Government Websites
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links to help maintain this website.
Have you or anyone you know had the stomach flu lately? It might not be the flu!
A couple weeks ago, my 7 year old son, Daniel, came down with what we thought was a stomach virus, two days after a family get-together. He had stomach cramps, fever and the runs.
It took him a week to get over it!
Last night I found out there has been a Salmonella outbreak in 42 states, since October!
The symptoms are exactly what Daniel had.
I thought I’d pass this on in case you’re like us and haven’t heard about it from your local news.
HT toStay well, .