American history birds Blog/Site Updates children Cooking crafts education freebies experiments free-events free audio freebies free e-books gardening giveaways Great Smoky Mountains hands-on activities health holidays holler livin' local events and activities money saving tips nature nature-photos News notebooking old-time-radio photos recipes recipes and cooking road closures/delays science scripture Site Info snow summer Super Deals Tennessee The Ol' Hermit The United States Townsend travel info Unit Studies weather wildflowers winter
This week’s Living Books for the Ears program from HomeschoolRadioShows.com:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain -a delightful half hour audio adaptation of Twain’s classic story which was originally broadcast on My Favorite Story, a syndicated radio program that aired in the late 1940s.
This week’s program also includes an audio of the classic children’s story “Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks With the Circus” by James Otis.
These programs are in MP3 format and will be available through Monday, June 7, 2010.
Blessings and happy listening,
For even more free educational resources, please check my educational freebies tag archive and my Free Homeschooling page.
Today is the anniversary of William Shakespeare’s birth and death, so today’s resources are for learning all about the bard and his works.
First, from Homeschool Freebie of the Day a great collection of links for free ebooks, maps, quotes and more:
Happy 446th Birthday, Mr. Shakespeare! -We’ve collected a handful of great online Shakespeare resources for you to bookmark and keep handy when studying the Bard. These sites are a treasure trove of Quotes, Maps, Pictures, Factoids, Biography, lots more cool stuff about Shakespeare and his works.
CurrClick has three free resources for studying Shakespeare:
Copywork: Quotations from Shakespeare’s Plays (PDF format)-Quotes from Shakespeare’s most well-known plays for copywork, recitation and discussion. Includes:
- Article on recitation by Charlotte Mason
- Article on transcription (copywork) by Charlotte Mason
- Lined copywork pages
- 30 pages of the greatest quotes from Shakespeare
Why Share Shakespeare -If you are considering Teaching Shakespeare, or are wondering what the big deal about Shakespeare is, this little booklet will answer many of your questions. PDF ebook.
Much Ado About Nothing -MP3 audio of Much Ado About Nothing from the Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare collection.
Activity Village has some free printables:
William Shakespeare Printables -Notebooking and coloring pages. PDF format
Here are some ideas for a unit study on Shakespeare from Steward Ship:
Shakespeare Unit Study Ideas -Suggestions for getting started, suggested books, list of plays, things to learn and activities to do.
Finally, Speak The Speech is “a non-profit audio theatre company dedicated to providing freely available Shakespearean audio performances online” and they have quite a collection of Shakespeare’s plays:
Speak The Speech Audio Recordings (MP3 format) -Twelve plays for your listening pleasure: The Tempest, Twelfth Night, As You Like It, Henry IV Parts 1 and 2, Henry V, Romeo and Juliet, The Winter’s Tale, Antony and Cleopatra, Cymbeline, Merry Wives of Windsor, King John, and King Richard II. Includes texts of each play plus a listing of casts and crew.
Shakespeare Resources That Are Not Free But Very Inexpensive
CurrClick: Shakespeare Lapbook & Mini Unit -Includes a timeline of his life and work, some classic quotes, pictures to introduce the Kings and the Queen that Shakespeare cared about, and a few of the characters in his plays. For younger children. Price – $ .50
CurrClick: Understanding Shakespeare Unit Study -Learn who Shakespeare was, explore the times in which he lived, read his works-and discover why he is known as the greatest playwright who ever lived. Unit Study contains explanatory content, online resource links, book suggestions, 6-8 lesson plans and 2-10 worksheets. For grades 3-12. Price – $2.50
Shakespeare On The Radio -50 MP3 recordings on CD of William Shakespeare’s works and other related shows from old time radio shows. Price – $5.00
“Shakespeare For the Ears” Home Study Course Collection -From Homeschool Freebie of the Day, a huge CD collection of audios, stories, study guides and much more -for learning all about Shakespeare. Only available until midnight tonight -April 23,2010- at a special price of $19.95.
For even more free educational resources, please check my educational freebies tag archive and my Free Homeschooling Page.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Free Classic Audio: “The Bet” by Anton Chekhov
Homeschool Radio Shows’ free program for this week is “The Bet” by Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, a physician, major Russian short story writer and playwright.
“The Bet” tells the story of an impoverished music teacher who willingly spends fifteen years in solitary confinement to win a bet -a classic story and cautionary tale you will long remember. Originally aired on Family Theater in 1950.
Also included with this weeks’ radio program is an audio book reading of The Bet. This offer has expired.*
*You may listen to the radio program online at:
The audio book may be listened to online or downloaded as an MP3 file at the Internet Archive’s Anton Chekhov – Collected Stories page -episode #7.
Free Unit Study on “The Bet”
“The Bet” Literature Unit -A World Literature unit for grades 8-12; includes vocabulary, discussion questions, suggested additional reading list, and quotes by Anton Chekhov.
More About Anton Chekhov
Anton CHEKHOV 1860-1904 –biography
Anton Chekhov –short biography, quotes, timeline
201 Stories by Anton Chekhov from the years
The Anton Chekhov Page -“all of the Chekhov-related info on the internet”
Interested in more classic audio?
Blessings and happy listening,
Listen To Classics By Herman Melville
Moby Dick –old time radio show of the most well-known work of Melville’s. Originally aired on NBC University Theater in the 1940’s.
More About Herman Melville:
- Novels of Herman Melville –read free online
- The Life and Works of Herman Melville –all about Herman Melville
Farm Notebooking Pages
Heart of the Matter Homeschool Conference Bundle
- All About Horses Unit Study
- Bees Lapbook
- File Folder Greetings: Encouragement
- Novel Ideas – Christopher Paolini’s Eldest
- Tricks of the Trade: 10 Teaching Tips Every Parent Should Know
- Don Quixote -an hour long audio adaptation Don Quixote’s humorous and absurd adventures, originally broadcast on NBC University Theater in 1950. From Homeschool Radio Shows, available all week. This offer has expired*
*This Don Quixote radio show can be found in the Internet Archive’s NBC University Theater collection (episode 107/#100 in the playlist). It is available as a free MP3 download or you may listen to it online.
- Don Quixote Volume 1 – audio translation of Don Quixote, volume 1, from Librivox.
- Don Quixote Volume 2 – audio translation of Don Quixote, volume 2, from Librivox.
- Adventures of Don Quixote -classic film made in 1933, free download or watch online -from the Internet Archive.
- Stories of Don Quixote Written Anew for Children by James Baldwin – A retelling for ages 8-12 of the most interesting parts of Cervantes’ great novel about Don Quixote. For ages 8-12, from Google Books.
- An Introduction to Don Quixote – curriculum unit for 7th grade Spanish I and 8th grade Spanish II, from Yale New Haven Teacher’s Institute. HT to Mr. Donn.
- Don Quixote Lesson Plan -lesson for teaching about metaphors, grades 9-12, from Discovery Education.
- Don Quixote Images –public domain pictures and illustrations of Don Quixote.
- Don Quixote Drawings –printable coloring pages of characters from the novel “Don Quixote”.
- The Don Quixote Online Exhibit – translations and illustrations of Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra’s novel “Don Quixote de la Mancha”.
- Don Quixote Route – online tour of the route of Don Quixote.