Educating your children doesn’t have to be expensive and there are many free resources on the web. I’ve listed here a lot of the sites that I’ve found and you can find even more homeschooling and educational freebies under the tag “education freebies”. More sites will be added as I run across them and as time permits.
Updated August 13, 2012
~Free K-12 Curriculum~
- Ambleside Online -free online curriculum, Charlotte Mason style
- An Old Fashioned Education -free online Christian curriculum
- The Baldwin Project –online collection of classic children’s literature.
- CurrClick - has a huge section of free products, offers a new free product a week –all in electronic form; workbooks, copywork, ebooks, audios, unit studies, lapbooks, notebooking.
- DonPotter.net –free resources and links for phonics, reading, spelling, Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Spanish and English.
- DonnaYoung.org -free homeschool and household planners, calendars, printables in various subjects, homeschool planning tips.
- Fortunately For You Books –free monthly product; literature based unit studies, activity books, writing prompts.
- Great Homeschool Videos –fun and educational videos.
- GuestHollow.com –free science curriculum for all grade levels, 3rd grade American history curriculum, and worksheets, notebooking pages, copywork and lapbooks for a variety of subjects.
- Hands of A Child –free semi-annual project pack lapbook.
- Happy Hearts Homeschooling Library -A source of free online vintage homeschool books and curricula.
- Homeschool Freebie of the Day -offers a new, free educational resource, Monday-Friday –available that one day only. Resources are in electronic format; ebooks of classic children’s literature and textbooks, teacher helps, unit studies, lessons, audios, videos. Sign up for the newsletter and get advance notice of all freebies for the week -plus an extra, weekly “subscriber only” freebie.
- Homeschool with Index Cards –free Bible verse, books of the Bible and Aesop’s Fables memory cards; sign up for newsletter and receive subscriber only freebies and specials, copywork pages and A-Z Bible verse card set.
- Internet Archive –huge library of free public domain texts, audio, and video in electronic format.
- Jimmie’s Collage: Freebies -tons of free notebooking pages and other printables for art, Shakespeare, writing, science, language arts, math, history, music and nature.
- New Library of Congress -free lesson plans, primary source sets, activities and presentations for the subjects of history, civics, government, geography, literature, the arts, science and more.
- LibriVox -Over 10,000 free audiobooks. Multiple languages.
- Living Books for the Ears from Homeschool Radio Shows –offers a free, weekly episode of various old-time radio shows in mp3 format. Very educational; lots of American history, biographies and classic stories.
- NotebookingPages.com -subscribe to email updates for free notebooking pages and tips
- New Smithsonian Education -free lesson plans for all grade levels in the areas of Art and Design; Science and Technology; History and Culture; and Language Arts
- Pratt’s Educational Resources -free English and Spanish vocabulary lists, flashcards, word searches and worksheets
- SchoolExpress -Free worksheets, activity sheets and games. Sign up for the newsletter for a free theme unit each week.
- Teacher Created Resources -Free daily brain teasers, weekly writing prompt, teaching tips, lesson plans, monthly activities and more. Free ebook every month when you sign up for the newsletter.
- The Homeschool Mom –free homeschool planner, monthly resource calendar, homeschooling site of the week, weekly dinner menus, free newsletters.
- The Homeschool Shop from Westvon Publishing -Free monthly copybook.
- New Common Sense Media Digital Literacy and Citizenship Classroom Curriculum -complete K-12 curriculum to teach students how to be safe online, manage personal information, behave ethically, and think critically about finding and evaluating information online. Units include printable lesson plans, teacher and student handouts, parent resources, videos and more.
- New Daily Grammar -over 400 (and counting) free daily grammar lessons with weekly quizzes, new lessons are posted daily on the Daily Grammar Blog, for grades K-Adult
- New Free Homeschool Curriculum Spelling Course -free online spelling course consisting of 30 lessons with course outline, suggested weekly work plan, spelling rules, exercises and answers -for grades 6-8.
Find more free spelling resources here: Homeschool/Education Freebies: Spelling Resources
- New Elements of Mass Communication -”An Interactive Cybertext”, a comprehensive mass media course that covers film, radio, TV, magazines, newspapers and the Internet, for high school and college students
- New Veterans Inspiring Patriotism -free educational program for schools, organizations and clubs includes “an inspirational video, a personal testimony from a veteran, and a question/answer period”
The Civil War
- New Gettysburg College Lesson Plans -free PDF format lesson plans to help teach students about the Civil War, categories include African Americans, Battles and Military, Civil War – Other, Confederacy, Culture, Medicine, Abraham Lincoln, and Historical Figures, Soldiers and Civilians
- New The Civil War Trust -free elementary, middle school, high school and gifted/talented curriculum; individual lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, field trip planner, maps, student activities and much more
- New The Civil War: 150 Years -the National Park Service Sesquicentennial Commemoration, includes:
- “Then and Now” timeline
- Civil War facts infographic
- people of the civil war:
- soldier and sailor database
- religious Figures
- virtual tours of historic collections
- links to teaching resources -both online and individual parks’ programs
- New Gettysburg National Military Park Curriculum Materials -6 lesson plans and a Civil War curriculum in PDF format:
- Civil War Lesson Plans -made to go along with ranger-led programs but can be adapted for classroom use:
- Care of the Wounded
- Impact of War
- Civil War Soldier
- The Unfinished Work
- Pickett’s Charge
- Battlefield Footsteps
- Civil War Curriculum -African American Civil War Experiences:
- The War for Freedom
- Civil War Lesson Plans -made to go along with ranger-led programs but can be adapted for classroom use:
Memorials, Monuments and Libraries
- Biography of William McKinley (link fixed) -online from the Mckinley Museum. This site also has the genealogy of William McKinley and lesson plans for grades 3, 4, 9 and 10.
- Essays on William McKinley and His Administration online from the Miller Center’s American President Online Reference Resource
- The Life of William McKinley V.1 and The Life of William McKinley V. 2 by Charles Sumner Olcott, originally published in 1916; downloadable e-books from Google Book Search
Classic Children’s E-books
- The Young McKinley: Or, Schooldays in Ohio; a Tale of Old Times on the Western Reserve by Hezekiah Butterworth, originally published in 1905; downloadable e-book from Google Book Search
- American Boy’s Life of William McKinley by Edward Stratemeyer, originally published in 1901; downloadable e-book from the Internet Archive
Lapbooking and Notebooking Pages
- William McKinley Jr. from Homeschool Helper
- Presidents Lapbook and Notebook Resources from Homeschool Share
Theme and Unit Studies
- William McKinley: A Presidential Unit from Easy Fun School
- Ohio Mini Unit Study from Learning Treasures
- President McKinley and Escort Going to the Capitol by Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1901; from the Library of Congress American Memory
- President McKinley Taking the Oath by Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1901; from the Library of Congress American Memory
- The Martyred Presidents: Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley published by Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1901; from the Internet Archive
- Daniel Boone (link fixed) -short biography from AmericanWest.com (Note: This link is to the archived website on the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine -the original site is gone.)
- History of Daniel Boone (link fixed) -from the Daniel Boone Homestead, includes timeline and suggested reading list
- Historic Missourians: Daniel Boone (link fixed) -from The State Historical Society of Missouri, includes historical images
- “Life and Adventures of Colonel Daniel Boon: The First White Settler of the State of Kentucky” by John Filson was originally published on Daniel Boone’s 50th birthday and claimed to be written in Boone’s own words. It was actually written by John Filson, though Boone, himself, noted every word to be true.
- “Biographical Memoir of Daniel Boone, the First Settler of Kentucky” by Timothy Flint, is another biography of Daniel Boone, although greatly exaggerated. This book is where the tall tales about Boone come from.
- “Daniel Boone and the Hunters of Kentucky” by William Henry Bogart, originally published in 1854. A chronicle of much of Boone’s life.
- “Boys’ Book of Frontier Fighters” by Edwin Legrand Sabin, was originally published in 1919 and contains tales of Daniel Boone, Buffalo Bill, Kit Carson and many other famous frontiersmen.
- “Indian Tales for Boys , or The Back-woodsman and True Stories of the Frontier” by Walter Whipple Spooner, an adventure book written for boys, published in 1883. It contains many stories about Daniel Boone and other frontiersmen in our nation’s early Western history.
- Answers in Genesis –Creation Science ministry
- New Science Lesson Plans -over 400 lesson plans in all areas of science for various grade levels, created by science teachers participating in Columbia University’s Summer Research Program
- National Snow and Ice Data Center: All About Snow -Q & A about snow, snow safety, historic photos, avalanche awareness, blizzards, snow removal info for the United States.
- U.S. Snow Monitoring -Recent Snowfall and Snow Depth Maps
- OnTheSnow.com Ski and Snow Report -”Provides ski and snow reports to over 2,000 ski resorts around the globe.”
- SnowCrystals.com -”Your online guide to snowflakes, snow crystals, and other ice phenomena.” Beautiful pictures, guide to snowflakes, snowflake physics, movies of growing snow crystals, snow and ice activities, snowflake wallpaper for your computer and much more.
- Snowflake Bentley -Vermont farmer Wilson A. Bentley “The Snowflake Man”, pioneering photographer of snow crystals.
- No Two Alike: Snowflake Photography -Kenneth Libbrecht’s photography from his book “The Art of the Snowflake”.
- The Digital Snow Museum -Photos and pictures of blizzards and snow from all over the world.
- Beltsville Electron Microscopy Unit: Snow Crystal Site -Images of snow crystals taken by an electron microscope.
- Snow Activities -Science, activities, art, literature, food, links and borax crystal craft.
- Snow -Build a snow castle, make virtual snowflakes, become a snow artist.
- Building an Igloo -How to build an Igloo, with pictures.
- Thinkquest Snowtastic Snow -Literature, health and sports, history science games and activities.
- Paper Snowflakes for Children -”Make Snowflakes and Learn Amazing Facts About Snow Science” Free instructions and patterns for making paper snowflakes, snowflake info and activities.
- Make A Flake -Online paper snowflake maker.
- Snowflake Designer -Another online paper snowflake maker.
- Snowflakes Theme Unit -Multiple grades, from the Sanford Center for Sky Awareness.
- Snowsports Crossword Puzzle (link fixed) -printable pdf, easy
- Forest Service National Avalanche Center Avalanche Awareness Website Information on avalanches, preparing for and skills to survive one.
- Colorado Avalanche Information CenterAvalanche forecast for Colorado
- Avalanche Center Worldwide avalanche infomation
- United States Search and Rescue Task Force Avalanche Page Information on avalanches, snowpack, safety, survival, building a snowcave and U. S. Danger Scale.
- Nova Online “Avalanche” Companion Web site to “Avalanche!,” originally broadcast on November 25, 1997. Scientists on a quest to find out how snow can sometimes strike with the force of TNT, take NOVA’s cameras inside an avalanche to unlock its deadly secrets. Video clips, resources and teacher’s guide.
- Snow that Smashes: Avalanche! Story, safety tips, facts and video from National Geographic Kids.
- Avalanche Lesson Plan Grades 6-8, from Discovery Educaton.
~Picture Of The Day Sites~
- New The Daily Picture from the Alps -beautiful photos of the highest mountains in Europe
- New Hawaii Picture of the Day -beautiful scenery, beaches, National Parks, sunsets, flowers, wildlife and more
- New Germany Picture of the Day -mountains, parks, castles, towns, architecture, lakes and much more
- Weather Picture of the Day -United States, also available by email
- New Photo of the Day -Blue Ridge/Great Smoky Mountains area, from Ray’s Weather Center
- New UK Weather Photo of the Day -from weather.com in the United Kingdom
- New Flower Picture of the Day -flower pictures from all around the world
- New Animal Picture Of The Day -collection of animal pictures from around the world
- New Photo of the Day: Nature and Weather -from National Geographic
- New HistoryNet’s Picture of the Day -images from America’s history
- Old Picture of the Day -historical photos of America’s past
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links.