Updated August 28, 2012
Keep your children learning this summer with these fun lessons and activities:
- Internet4Classrooms Summer Learning -Free daily and weekly summer learning fun. Sign up to receive fun activities, links to great learning games, and other educational resources that will help you get ready for the school year. Grades Pre-K to 12.
- Sylvan Learning Summer Fun and Learning Guide -Fun activities for children in grades K-12. Activites include: Make Your Own Sidewalk Chalk, Plant a Mystery Garden, Become a Reporter, Develop Your Own Weather Report and more. You might also be interested in Sylvan’s Family Fun Brochure, Math Booklet and Writing Journal. All resources are in PDF format and require filling out an information form to download.
- Thinkfinity Summer Learning -A collection of links to fun activities and educational resources created by some of the nation’s leading educational organizations. Includes hands-on and online science activities, math games, reading and writing activities, American history theme units and much more.
- Summer Travel: Education of the Road -Fun activities and lessons for students in grades 3-12 to turn their summer vacation into a learning experience.
- Summer Learning Across the USA -A 10 page excerpt from the workbook “Learning Across the USA”. Includes several states that have popular spots to visit especially during the summer. Each sheet includes space for students to fill in information they learn about each state. Older students can do independent research to find the answers. There is an answer key at the back, which can be used to teach the facts to younger students. Free this week from CurrClick.
- Backpack Buddies -2 free pdf downloads from Ohio State University:
Fun Summer Time Activities and Games consists of 12 activities for students in the 1st grade.
- Just Read, Families! -Free summer reading resources from the Florida Dept. of Education include a K-5 Summer Activities Calendar, a Middle School Activities Calendar -both with a month’s worth of daily activities- and a Summer Reading Activities Kit (PDF) with creative ideas for fun summer reading you and your children can do together while on vacation, at home, or on the road.
- Hot Activities for Celebrating Summer! -A collection of 7 summertime lessons for reinforcing summer safety rules, visiting some great vacation spots, building a roller coaster and more. Grades K-12.
- 101 Nature Activities -Activities and lessons created and collected from teachers, outdoor educators and the staff of Sanborn Western Camps to help children deepen their awareness and enjoyment of the natural world. Activities include nature scavenger hunts, nighttime activities, sensory awareness activities, games, hikes and much more. PDF download.
- Kidsgardening Parents’ Primer -Online guide for “taking advantage of gardening moments with your kids every week in your own backyard … and front yard and in the garage and at the windowsill and in the basement …. Turn your kids’ questions into fun discoveries and get garden-building basics too.” Be sure to check out Family Gardening Ideas for fun activities for each season of the year, and School Gardening for gardening curriculum; classroom projects; lessons and activities; and greenhouse guide and activities.
- Camping: A Complete Unit Study -Turn your camping trip into an educational experience with this fun camping unit. Includes activities for math, science and nature; reading list, vocabulary words and writing suggestions.
And don’t forget your public library! Most libraries have some sort of summer reading program for children and/or teens and include any or all of the following:
- reading contests
- writing contests
- hands-on activities
Plus, your library’s summer reading program is usually free!Happy teaching,
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links to help keep this site up and running.