Updated August 31, 2012
- You Are There: Philadelphia, July 4th, 1776 and The Great Gildersleeve’s Old Fashioned 4th of July–two classic radio show episodes, MP3 format, available through Monday, July 8 from Homeschool Radio Shows. *This offer has expired.
*If you missed these freebies, “You Are There: Philadelphia, July 4th, 1776″ can be found in the Internet Archive’s You Are There Old Time Radio collection -episode #23.
More Independence Day themed episodes from You Are There include:
♦ episode #37 Declaration of Independence
♦ episode #38 Lexington, Concord and Merriam’s Corner
♦ episode #42 The Ratification of the US Constitution
♦ episode #59 Mutiny in the Colonial Army
♦ episode #86 Stamp Act Rebellion
*The Great Gildersleeve’s Old Fashioned 4th of July can be found in the Internet Archive’s Great Gildersleeves Season 5 collection -episode #214 (Flashback: Jolly Boys Fourth of July).
Another Independence Day episode, “The Fourth of July Speech”, can be found in the Internet Archive’s Great Gildersleeves Season 11 collection -episode #451.
All of these episodes from the Internet Archive are available at no cost and may be listened to online or downloaded as an MP3 file .
- SqoolTube Videos: American Revolution –Schoolhouse Rock videos about the Revolutionary War and America’s Independence.
- 4th of July Montessori Unit Study –complete online unit study with links to articles, hands-on activities and other exercises.
- Memorial Day and 4th of July Holiday Craft Activity and History Lesson -”Waving Wands” craft activity and background information for a holiday lesson plan.
- Fourth of July Ideas for Homeschoolers –The American Flag and The American Revolution mini-unit studies, coloring pages, worksheets, notebooking pages, activity links and library list.
- Fourth Of July Lapbook –mini-books, printables and links to more resources.
- Fourth Of July Lapbook –free PDF ebook includes over 2 dozen printables about the Fourth Of July.
- Colonial Currency –history and examples of American colonial currency, part of the University of Notre Dame’s Department of Special Collections
- The Betsy Ross Homepage –learn all about Betsy Ross and the American Flag. The story of Betsy’s life, virtual tour of Betsy’s house, gallery of the American Flag through history, facts, trivia, timeline, quotes and directions on how to cut a 5 pointed star in one snip.
- Declaring Independence: Drafting the Documents –includes timeline of events and scanned images of the original documents, a Library Of Congress exhibition.
- The Price They Paid –learn what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence, part of the American Heritage Library
- Fourth Of July Celebrations Database -history of how the Fourth was designated a holiday, the first Fourth of July celebrations and Fourth of July celebrations that have occurred throughout our nation’s history from 1776 to the present.
- The Charters Of Freedom –learn about and read The Declaration Of Independence, The Constitution Of The United States and The Bill Of Rights.
- Independence Day –learn the history of the Fourth of July. Includes July Fourth video gallery and maps of early America.
- Independence Day Lesson Plans from the National Parks Service: Teaching With Historic Places –10 lesson plans related to America’s battle for independence, the creation of our nation, and other lessons with related Independence Day themes. These free lessons are based on sites listed in the National Register of Historic Places and include:
♦ The Battle of Bennington: An American Victory
♦ The Battle of Bunker Hill: Now We Are at War
♦ The Battle of Oriskany: “Blood Shed a Stream Running Down”
♦ Glen Echo Park: Center for Education and Recreation
♦ Guilford Courthouse: A Pivotal Battle in the War for Independence
♦ Independence Hall: International Symbol of Freedom
♦ The Liberty Bell: From Obscurity to Icon
♦ The Rockets’ Red Glare: Francis Scott Key and the Bombardment of Fort McHenry
♦ Saratoga: The Tide Turns on the Frontier
♦ The Washington Monument: Tribute in Stone
Happy Independence Day,
- Free Fourth Of July Old Time Radio Shows
- Fourth Of July Freebies: Homeschooling/Educational, Recipes And Crafts
- Free Fourth Of July Unit Studies